by vickiannette 05 Jan 2017

Translation please [for an Australian] What is a 'peeker'. Went to a site with lots of baby 'lovies' and one design includes a peeker, but I don't really know what this is. Can anyone [most likely American] help. xx


by gerryb 06 Jan 2017

I have also seen these placed at the edge of a towel (usually the hood) or a hat, making it look like an animal is peeking up from the edge.

by Barbaric 06 Jan 2017

A peeker can be a piece of folded material that is placed in a quilt or table runner etc between the binding and main part of the quilt in a contrasting colour.

1 comment
Barbaric by Barbaric 06 Jan 2017

It also can be a design for the front of a T shirt of a baby peeking out of a frame (to represent the womb) to announce there is a baby on the way.

by babash 05 Jan 2017

I saw some designs called Peekers that were babies faces in a shape like a wide smile that you embroidered on a T shirt around the stomache bump.
But most likely what Chris is showing is more common for the Peeker.

1 comment
vickiannette by vickiannette 05 Jan 2017

thank you, yes, a clear case of 'language barrier' Good thing we can talk to each other.

by pennifold 05 Jan 2017

Hi Vicki, the ones I've seen have been applique. There are some really cute ones on JuJu applique as shown below. If these are not what you are looking for, I hope someone else knows. Love Chris

Peepers/Peekers are similar.

sandralane by sandralane 05 Jan 2017

Great information Chris, that is exactly what I would have said. Sandra.

vickiannette by vickiannette 05 Jan 2017

Thanks Chris, the pictures do explain it. I did see these [on the site where I looked] but it didn't make any sense to me. I would have possibly called them "Pocket Toppers".

by graceandham 05 Jan 2017

If the design is flat across the bottom, it is a pocket peeker, a term created by machine embroidery design folk. Hoop your stabilizer, pin your shirt so that the top of the pocket falls in the bottom of the design area. Pin your pocket edge back out of the way and stitch design so that a small portion of it is inside the pocket. Lots of fun.

vickiannette by vickiannette 05 Jan 2017

thank you, this is a very good description. Funny how our language causes issues, even though it's all meant to be 'English'

graceandham by graceandham 05 Jan 2017

That's because it is a rich and ever-evolving language. My favorite example- If you call someone a hussy, it is not a nice thing. But about 1600, it just meant housewife. Also, if you call someone homely, better not call it to their face. But, homely used to be a good thing - you had all the skills to run a home properly, such as good embroidering, cooking, etc.

by crafter2243 Moderator 05 Jan 2017

I believe they are designs that are sometimes placed on pockets in such a manner that it seem they "peek" out. Also designs where a character seems to be hiding behind something and "peek" out. Maybe someone else has a better explanation.

1 comment
vickiannette by vickiannette 05 Jan 2017

thank you, this does seem a very likely explanation.